Adapted from Debrett’s People of Today.
BEALE, Nicholas Clive Lansdowne; son of Prof Evelyn Martin Lansdowne Beale, FRS (d 1985), and Violette Elizabeth Anne; Educ Winchester (scholar), Trinity College Cambridge (scholar, MA); m 1977, Christine Anne: 1 son, 2 daughters.
Career: social philosopher and Management Consultant; Managing Director of Beale Electronic Systems 1977-85; Vice-Chairman Beale International Technology 1985-88; Consultant McKinsey & Co 1988-89; Chairman: Beale Holdings 1988-95, Sciteb 1989-; Director: First Film Foundation 1991-95, Sector Dialogue Process 1992-; author of:
- Individual versus systemic risk and the Regulator's Dilemma (PNAS, 2011, with Robert May and others)
- Oil and Troubled Waters (Harvard Business Review, 2005)
- Intellectual Assets (in Professional Investor, Sept 1993)
- Sciteb/Sunday Times Poll. of R&D Effectiveness, (Nov 1991)
- Various technical articles and speeches at international conferences on computer communications and R&D management
Oblate Alton Abbey 1994-; Freeman City of London 1996, Liveryman Worshipful Co of Information Technologists 1997 (Deputy Chairman Ethical & Spiritual Development Panel); FRSA 1991-; FIMA 2012-.
- In Business and Battle (Gower, 2012, co-editor with Charles Style and David Ellery)
- Questions of Truth (Westminster/John Knox, 2009, co-author with John Polkinghorne)
- Constructive Engagement (Gower, 2005)
- Rational Values in the New Economy (ed. and co-author)
- Cybernauts Awake! (Church House Publishing, 1999, co-author)
- Addressing IM&T in NHS Organisations (co-author, published by the NHS)
- The Star Course (with Bishop Geoffrey Rowell)
- City Science and Technology Dialogue (Royal Society, 1995, with Sir Brian Jenkins)
- Industry/City Dialogue Guide (published with IoD, LIBA & IIMR)
- Good Disclosure Practice Code (1992, ed., both published in co-operation with DTI)
- Engineering Consensus (1991, ed.)
- R&D Short-Termism? (published in co-operation with CBI, 1991)
Recreations: piano, music, running marathons, sailing.
Other publications not listed in the Debrett’s entry include:
- "Evolution and the Complexity Principle" (with Brian Josephson) in Prospect, August 2012
- "Can Discoverability Help Us Understand Cosmology?" (Journal of Cosmology, 2009, Vol 3, pages 529-539)
- Debate: God and Science (with Colin Howson) in Prospect May 1998
- "UK Views on Ethical and Spiritual Implications of IT" (with Penny Duquenoy and Harold Thimbleby), Fourth International Conference on Ethical Issues in Information Technology, Ethicomp'98, pp734-742, 1998
- Wealth Generation in the Healthcare and Pharmaceutical Sectors (ed., in co-operation with the DTI, 1994)
- "The MAP/TOP initiative", in Ray Reardon (ed.): Networks for the 1990s. (Wiley 1988.) ISBN 0-86353-131-8
- ANSI/IEEE Std 802.5-1985 (co-author as voting member of working group) ISBN 0471-82996X
- "An ADA compatible specification language" (with Simon Peyton-Jones.) Proceedings of the ACM'81 conference. doi:10.1145/800175.809857. ISBN 0-89791-049-4
- Data Transmission System and Method US Patent number: 4709365